Your Contributions Are Appreciated
- Open thread for night owls: Eastern Seaboard saw sea level rise of 5 inches in two yearsGrist: In just two years, 2009 and 2010, sea levels along the Atlantic coast north of New York City jumped up by more than 5 inches, according to a paper published this week in the journal Nature Communications. That might not seem like much on its own, but consider that, according to the latest report […]
- These are not the droids you're looking for[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ1uSrvUnYs&w=550&h=309] Behold, the singularity looms. No, it's not the spooky event horizon of a black hole creeping across the Earth throwing us all into a spaghettified alien space-time! We stand on the cusp of a technological singularity. Specifically, artificial intelligence combined with automation, i.e., robots, a combination some futurists have long predicted will eclipse […]
- When will political malpractice stop being rewarded?Lies by politicians have consequences for citizens. A free press is the entity whose proper function serves as a backstop to lying politicians. When a free press fails in its duties, citizens are hurt. That is the literal case becoming more evident with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Gallup released an amazing new […]
- Janet Yellen gets the need for rising wages. That's why Republicans are out to get her.No one else that President Obama appointed has a greater impact on our economy. First, let's start with the good news, developments that are both important and a long time coming. Thursday's reports from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed: 1) For all employees, real hourly wage growth (i.e., growth above the rate of inflation) […]
- All-American terroristsMeeting of members of the Republic of Texas On Valentine's Day 2015, some 20 "armed and armored" officers from six different local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies descended upon a group of 60 citizens who were meeting in Bryan, Texas, to conduct business as the Republic of Texas. The group, which claims sovereignty and […]
- Open thread for night owls: Eastern Seaboard saw sea level rise of 5 inches in two years
- FactChecking CPACA parade of potential Republican presidential candidates took turns at delivering speeches and answering questions at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference that started on Feb. 26. Along the way there were some distortions of facts.
- Will Power Plant Rules Cause Blackouts?The head of the Environmental Protection Agency told Congress her agency's proposed rules governing carbon dioxide emissions from power plants will not affect the reliability of electricity service. That's debatable.
- Biden Resurrects Bogus Talking PointsVice President Joe Biden resurrected years-old, Democratic talking points on the Affordable Care Act and U.S. oil production during a recent speech in New Hampshire.
- FactChecking CPAC