Your Contributions Are Appreciated
- Open thread for night owls. Nichols: Mr. Spock was a McGoverniteThis guy was not—as Oregon state Rep. Bill Post has claimed—a Republican. John Nichols at The Nation writes Mr. Spock Was a McGovernite: Remembering Leonard Nimoy’s ‘Live Long and Prosper’ Politics: George McGovern’s anti-war candidacy for the presidency in 1972 attracted a good deal of celebrity support. But few Hollywood figures worked as hard as […]
- 'House of Cards' returns to a world of odd politics and soap opera dramaticsKevin Spacey's Frank Underwood tells the American public they are entitled to nothing in Netflix's "House of Cards" Last week saw the series finale of NBC's Parks and Recreation. It was probably one of the most positive (and progressive) shows about government and politics, getting many of its laughs from the Pollyannaish optimism of Amy […]
- CPAC again reaches out to non-white Americans. Let's see how that goes.Here, have some nightmare fuel. Each and every year, the hard-right conservative conference known as CPAC holds a discussion on how Republicans can best appeal to non-lily-white voters, or at least can learn not to openly insult them. This year they actually found some non-lily-white people to run the discussion, which is a step up […]
- Senator Inhofe 'demolishes' climate change with snowball[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy-wvihCCGQ&w=550&h=309] Clowning around in the Senate hit new heights of fun last week when James Inhofe (R-OK) playfully lobbed a snowball pretending to demolish 100 years of empirical data supporting human-induced climate change. Let the games begin: We keep hearing that 2014 has been the warmest year on record," Inhofe said. "So I ask […]
- King v. Burwell: Chevron DeferenceChevron deference provides that if a law is not clear, the court will defer to the Executive Branch interpretation. Recently, I presented an argument, limited to only the text of the Affordable Care Act and the most basic and universally accepted canons of statutory interpretation (I did not rely on legislative purpose or history or […]
- Open thread for night owls. Nichols: Mr. Spock was a McGovernite
- More Keystone SpinWith a showdown vote approaching on the Keystone XL pipeline, both sides continue to spin the facts about exports and safety.
- FactChecking CPACA parade of potential Republican presidential candidates took turns at delivering speeches and answering questions at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference that started on Feb. 26. Along the way there were some distortions of facts.
- Will Power Plant Rules Cause Blackouts?The head of the Environmental Protection Agency told Congress her agency's proposed rules governing carbon dioxide emissions from power plants will not affect the reliability of electricity service. That's debatable.
- More Keystone Spin